Can you believe that Christmas is just over 60 days away?! I feel like I was just going to the beach and swimming at the pool a few weeks ago! But here we are just about to begin the holiday craziness in a few short weeks! I absolutely love the holiday season, so I’m not complaining here, I’m just a little bit in disbelief!
I’m so excited to share my first post on holiday gift ideas! I really enjoy researching and finding fun and useful gifts for my kids. With three kids of my own, I’ve seen a lot of toys come through our house. I’ve seen what toys have lasted a hot second, and what toys the kids are still playing with years later. I know it’s a good toy if I’m always cleaning it up!
Today, I’m focusing on top toys for toddlers and preschoolers. These are toys that will get a lot of mileage for years to come. Even though my kids are no longer toddlers, we still see these toys in rotation at our house. Here is a round up of some of the top toys in our house!
Top Toys for Toddlers & Preschoolers
1. MAGNA TILES. These magnetic building tiles are played with all of the time in our house! This set has a multitude of playing possibilities. The tiles can be made into fun structures and designs. In addition, my kids love to use to make ‘houses’ or ‘garages’ for various other toys. This toy really allows for imaginative play!
2. KIDCRAFT KITCHEN This kitchen is another favorite that my daughter got from Santa when she was almost 2 years old and 8 years later it is still going strong. My five-year old still enjoys playing with it. Not only is it functional but it’s so cute and stylish.
We have the red version of the kitchen and love it!
3. TOMY HIDE AND SQUEAK EGGS AND LEARNING RESOURCES SMART SNACKS SHAPE SORTING CUPCAKES These two items, the Tomy Hide and Squeak eggs and Learning Resources Smart Snacks Shape Sorting Cupcakes go hand in hand with a play kitchen. We have had both toys since my daughter was a baby and I still cleaning up these sets on a daily basi. It is a toy that has always been played with when friends come over.
Both sets offer a lot of opportunity for creative play! The kids have used them for their intended purpose to learn shapes and sorting skills but also as play food. These are timeless toys that I plan to save for grandkids!
4. MELISSA AND DOUG MAILBOX: Anything from Melissa & Doug is almost a guaranteed winner. But this mailbox is a total favorite! This is a great toy for role playing! Plus, there is a spacial awareness learning component with putting the various size letters into the appropriate fitting mail slot. Another solid, well-made toy that will be saved in our attic!
5. LITTLE TIKES SLIDE: This slide has gotten so much mileage! Every time I think I can get rid of it, the slide gets back in play. We’ve used both outdoors and indoors which has included the kids using it as a water slide for the baby pool. It’s a great climbing toy during the winter months when you are stuck inside. It’s not that big that you can’t use it in a playroom or basement. Having a slide is an essential!
6. FISHER PRICE LITTLE PEOPLE: It is hard to not be nostalgic about this classic toy. Everyone can remember a Little People set that they had growing up. We have many of these sets and love getting out the holiday themed sets throughout the year. These toys are so great for role playing and imagination. It will be a sad day when we put these toys away for good.
7. LEARNING JOURNEY MATCH IT SETS: We have several of these sets including letters, mathematics and spelling. Great learning toy that also has a puzzle component to them. These are sets that all of our kids have used and loved!
This post was written with the input of my kids…I know these are the childhood favorites they will remember when they are older. For even more Christmas ideas, take a look at my new Christmas gift ideas board on Pinterest. Also, be sure to sign up for my latest blog posts and updates. I’ll be sending some exclusive gift guides for subscribers!
P.S. While most of these toys are geared for little ones, I’ll be sharing some ideas for bigger kids very soon! Stay tuned!