Advent Calendar Ideas

Today I want to share some Christmas Advent Calendar ideas. My family really enjoys advent calendars and we have several, perhaps more than several, different types in our house! This is a tradition you can start early with your children and it is something they will look forward to every Christmas.

Fabric Advent Calendars

First, my favorite advent calendar in our house is from Pottery Barn Kids. We’ve had ours for years so it is no longer available, but the current Pottery Barn options are here and  here. Everything from Pottery Barn Kids is adorable so looks beautiful anywhere in the house. Also these fabric calendars hold up so well, that they can be enjoyed for years to come!

I’ve filled the pockets with different things throughout the years, although candy filled pockets are the kids favorites. Every couple pockets, I add in something besides candy like money, a little trinket or a note about something fun we are going to do that day!

This Star Wars advent would be a huge hit for my boys! It would fit great in a kids room. These Pottery Barn calendars are very large so a decent amount of wall is needed. We hang ours on a door.

Wood Advent Calendars

For a smaller option that can sit on a table or shelves, there are a lot of other options available. These two are very festive and could fit anywhere in the house!

Available HERE

Wooden Advent Calendar Train HERE

Toy Filled Advent Calendars

Besides advent calendars that you fill with goodies, another great option is to buy ones that already have candy or trinkets!

Last year I got these advent Lego sets for the older kids which they loved! Each day was a different mini set to put together. The kids loved how the pieces were winter themed. The Star Wars set including things like a frozen Chewbacca and the Lego Friends set including ice skates and hot chocolate items. So cute!

Available HERE

Available HERE

This Lego City advent calendar is a great inexpensive option too!

For the younger kids, these sets would be fun! My youngest would love this Hot Wheels set.

Hot Wheels Advent Calendar

Available HERE

Candy Filled Version

Of course, sometimes easiest and basic are what is most loved and so it is no doubt that a chocolate filled advent calendar is always well received!

Chocolate Advent Calendar

Activity Advent Calendars

Last year, my daughter received this Cookie Advent Cookbook and had a lot of fun making new recipes! We didn’t cover all 24 recipes, so this year we will try some new ones! We were able to freeze the cookies and save for when needed. It’s a good way to spread out the holiday baking!

Cookie Advent Calendar

Finally, I’ve seen many printable advent calendars available that celebrate the season! I found these printable advent cards from Happy Home Fairy that I have printed out to read with the family each day. Also this activity advent printable from True Aim includes an easy, doable, activity to do with the family every day.

*****************************************************************

So many options available! I’ve just listed a few of the many types of advent calendars! Does your family have an advent calendar? Share your ideas!

1. November 27, 2017 / 7:50 am

Thank you so much for sharing- I need to pick one up- my girls love the candy version of course! 🙂

2. November 27, 2017 / 11:00 am

Those are some cute advent calendars! We have one that we use every year with our boys, but I’m thinking it’s time for a new one. Thanks for sharing 😘

3. Amy S
    November 27, 2017 / 2:10 pm

There’s an online advent calendar that is interactive and has fun activities. I’ve gotten it for years, and I enjoy it as much (or more?) than the kids! Each year she designs a different themed calendar. This year is Swiss Alps.

November 28, 2017 / 6:33 am

That is so cool Amy–I’ve never heard of it. I think it’d be a lot of fun!

4. November 27, 2017 / 5:07 pm

I really like the idea of the refillable calendars. We are still working on finding a ‘traditional’ one. My daughter really wants the Disney tsum tsum advent calendar haha

5. November 27, 2017 / 7:01 pm

We do a the LEGO ones here🙌🏻

6. November 27, 2017 / 7:04 pm

I love the train! That’s something you usually don’t see. I can’t wait to start this tradition with my kids!

November 28, 2017 / 6:31 am

I thought that train was one was unique too!

7. Katie
    November 27, 2017 / 11:03 pm

There’s also a wine one I’ve seen for the adults! 🙂 PBK is the way to go. Love ours! Now just need to figure out what goes in each pocket!

November 28, 2017 / 6:32 am

I’ve seen wine and beer DIY advents-those would be fun!

8. November 27, 2017 / 11:03 pm

These Advent calendars are so cute. My son is starting to learn more about the holidays. I think he would love this!!
    Angela

9. November 28, 2017 / 12:18 am

A Minion one!? How fun! We just do a sucker Mickey Mouse one I replace each year. Maybe a toy one next year

November 28, 2017 / 6:31 am

My kids would love a sucker one!!

10. November 28, 2017 / 2:21 pm

Advent calendars are such a fun Christmas tradition. I grew up with the classic chocolate filled ones but for my kids I have a large fabric calendar with pockets. I fill each day with a voucher for a Christmas themed activity: choosing a tree, writing letters to Santa, making Christmas crafts, baking cookies, reading a Christmas book, going out for hot chocolate… It has become one of my favorite Christmas traditions.

11. November 29, 2017 / 10:03 am

I love these!! Advent calendars are my favorite!