It’s Go(al) Time!

Happy New Year! The holidays came and went in a flash and somehow it is 2018! It always feels good to hit the reset button in January….whether it’s cutting back on food, wine, or spending! We always try to have a quieter month with overall less of everything. I am typically not one to make major resolutions but I do like to start off the year with a few intentions.

Last year I set out to accomplish three things and I was mildly successful:

1. Read 50 books (I read about 15).
  2. Run 3 races (I ran one).
  3. Start a blog (Woohoo I got this one accomplished).

This year, instead of setting out with several goals, I am focusing on a word that will be my mantra for the year. My word for 2018 is SIMPLIFY. I am going to apply simplify to many different aspects of my life. Here are some of the things I am thinking along my plans for living by this word.

Home

• Be more intentional with home purchases and only buy things I truly love. (This will mean less trips to the Target dollar bins and discount stores!)
  • Work with the kids to bring less ‘stuff’ into our home. (This will require saying ‘no’ to stickers, trinkets and things they won’t really use).
  • De-clutter entire home. This will be easier with the Clear the Clutter Challenge that starts January 8th. If you would like to join our Facebook group head over –>  HERE!
  • Reinstate a weekly cleaning schedule and enlist the entire family to help! (I plan to get back to a chore chart.)

Family

• Evaluate activities and commitments and select the favorites. (Limit the amount of activities for each child).
  • Commit to have one evening a week as a family night.
  • Plan vacations and road trips for the entire year in January (So we can budget and schedule accordingly).
  • Implement a system for all the paper that comes in to our house including school papers, bills, forms, etc.

Health and Fitness

• Reduce food waste by meal planning and having everyone in the family eat the SAME meal every day.
  • Do meal prepping on Sundays: chop veggies and fruit, organize snacks and prepare any meat if possible.
  • Follow the Whole 30 food plan for the month of January. (More details on how to do Whole 30 as a busy mom on the blog this week!)
  • Every Sunday plan workout times for the entire week.

Professional/Blog

• Post on the blog 3 times per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
  • Have tech free hours as a family from 5 p.m.-7 p.m. during the week.
  • Schedule blocks of time for blogging activities.

Overall, my plan is to be more intentional with my and my family’s time. My hope is that by simplifying in certain aspects of our life, we will have more time and energy to connect as a family.

Perhaps by declaring my intentions, I’ll be more likely to follow through on these goals. I plan to check back in with you all on these intentions throughout the year!

*********************************************************

Where do you stand on setting goals or making New Year’s resolutions? Comment below with your goals/plans for 2018!

1. January 1, 2018 / 4:11 pm

I love these goals- I really need to get back into meal planning and being more intentional with my time.

January 2, 2018 / 8:33 pm

Yes to being intentional with time!

2. January 1, 2018 / 7:55 pm

These are great goals! Simplifying was something I really worked on in 2017 and it has done wonders for us! Happy New Year!

January 2, 2018 / 8:27 pm

If you have any tips for how you simplified–I’d love to hear! Happy New Year Erin!

3. January 2, 2018 / 5:57 am

Love your goals and congrats on your blog! So happy I found you here! Happy New Year Jaclyn!

January 2, 2018 / 8:26 pm

Thanks Holly…so great connecting with you this year! Happy New Year to your adorable family!

4. January 2, 2018 / 10:39 am

You have a beautiful family! Your goals sound like they have really been thought out. A lot of my own surround my blog and where I want to go with it. But I feel like I can’t get anything organized!

January 2, 2018 / 8:26 pm

You are so sweet-thanks for the nice words! I know the feeling…so much to do with the blog …it’s really never ending!

5. January 2, 2018 / 2:36 pm

I feel the same way with needing to get organized. I try to meal plan, but it doesn’t always happen.

January 2, 2018 / 8:25 pm

It’s hard to stay disciplined on meal planning …but I always do much better when I stick to a plan-financially and health wise!

6. January 2, 2018 / 8:14 pm

I am so excited that we ended up choosing the same word this year ! I can’t wait to follow along! I am also working on decluttering our entire home this year and cannot wait to follow along with the challenge. A BIG thing for me to tackle will be to simplify social media and emails. This will take a while, I’m thinking, but will be really important to help simplify other areas.

I’m also really hoping to work hard to continue to grow the blog, increase traffic, and subscribers, and just provide really great content to readers!

January 2, 2018 / 8:23 pm

I love that we are focusing on the same word too! I agree on simplifying social media (and blog work for me). I’d love to collaborate or work on some ideas for these areas!
      Decluttering definitely goes hand in hand with simplifying. So I’m hoping with less stuff it’ll be easier to concentrate on the big things!

7. January 3, 2018 / 7:29 am

I love your goal of being more intentional with purchases! This is one I have myself, along with planning purchases so I can put more research into choosing more environmentally friendly and ethical sources for the things we need to buy. That require planning and looking ahead – organizational skills that I need to improve too!

Happy new year! 🙂

8. January 4, 2018 / 10:20 am

My little mantra for the year is to “be present.” Even though I was pretty good at this last year, I want to make sure I continue doing it while my daughter is still a baby! I love your idea of the family being tech free from 5-7.. might have to steal that one!

January 6, 2018 / 7:16 am

That is a great word! I’m already thinking I should have done a few words because I’m seeing so many good ideas out there!