I am so excited to be posting the first installment of the Clear the Clutter Challenge: Kitchen Organization edition! Each week I am co-hosting this challenge with Keri and Katie so be sure to check out their spaces! The kitchen is a great place to start as it is the hub of the home. If this area is messy, it sets the mood for the rest of the areas of the house. While the kitchen is a great starting point for the challenge, I can also say it is a HARD room to tackle! I am excited to see how all of you organized this room!
Starting this week, we will pick our favorite space from the previous week to feature. We will select one blogger from the link up and one member of our Facebook group! Be sure to link up (see rules below) or post a picture to our Facebook group! If you’re not already a part of our Facebook group please click here to join! We share tips for organizing, behind the scenes, and it’s a place to ask questions and join in on a community!
Clear the Clutter: Kitchen Organization
Without further ado, I will share my kitchen pantry and cabinet clear out! There were two specific spots in the kitchen I focused on–the food pantry and the large cabinet that contains the rest of our food (mainly baking ingredients). These two areas seem to be the biggest sources of disorganization in our kitchen!
Before, I got started on actually clearing out the clutter, I answered five questions! These questions can apply to any area of the home! I plan to answer these questions for the rest of the Clear the Clutter Challenge!
- What is my end goal with the space? To make it easier for the entire family to access our food and to be able to see clearly all the food that we have.
- What is currently working in the space? We have several bins and containers that are great for storing food. The cereal and snacks are placed at eye level for the kids–the most popular food in the house!
- What is NOT working in the space? The baking ingredients are in two different spots making it time consuming to gather all of the ingredients. There is no organization to our dry goods and staples.
- What tools (baskets/bins/labels) do I already have to complete the space? I have several snap storage containers that I love. I also have containers for our cereal and oatmeal. I have some labels for our baking ingredients.
- Is there anything I need to buy to help reach my end goal? I could use a few more snap storage containers! I ended up purchasing a few storage containers to complete the project. Kate had shared a Walmart deal on baskets on the Clear the Clutter Facebook group. Unfortunately, my store was completely sold out of the specific baskets. But, I found several other items that worked perfectly for the space.
Most items I purchased are not available online so I’ve listed a few alternatives!
First step, I took EVERYTHING out of the pantry and wiped it all down! The amount of snacks we had really put things into perspective! I have enough food to last us for awhile.
I then looked over all the food and threw all the things away that were old or not going to be eaten. This is a great time to clear out the pantry since we are trying to eat healthy! Out went all the candy and cookies! Then, I organized the remaining food and grouped everything by categories: staples/snacks/cereal/oils & vinegar, etc.
On to the fun part- putting everything back! I organized the snacks and cereals on the same shelves as before, but it is much more organized! I cut down on the snacks, put some food in storage containers and put the healthier items in the front for easy reaching!
After the pantry was organized, I still had to get to the cabinet! This space has been used for baking ingredients and spices. Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of this cabinet before I started to organize! But, let me tell you it was a mess! Every time I would open the cabinet, I would duck in case something might fall out of it…ha ha!
Previously, some of the baking ingredients were in the pantry but it wasn’t user friendly to go to the pantry for some ingredients and cabinet for others. So now all of the baking ingredients are in the cabinet. I think it will flow much better!
I purchased these very inexpensive storage containers for all of our baking supplies like cupcake liners, food dye and cookie cutters. I love this update!
I completely forgot to take a picture of the before but I did snap an AFTER picture:
A few final notes:
*Be sure to show everyone in the home where everything has been placed or no one will be able to find anything!
*Clean the entire space once finished so you can enjoy (and admire) your hard work!
*Before you buy a bunch of bins and containers, be sure to shop your house! I was able to use a lot of containers I had on hand!
*When in doubt if you should throw something away, get a second opinion. An outsider’s perspective can be really helpful!
Now that we’ve finished kitchen organization, we will be focusing on closets! So excited for you to link up below! Not a blogger? Join the Facebook group to share with us your space or use the hashtag #cleartheclutterchallenge and tag us on Instagram!
Now it is time for our link-up! Link up your Clear the Clutter post below and follow our hosts on Instagram: Jaclyn, Kate & Keri. Please know that all off topic posts will be deleted from the link up. You must link back to one of the hosts. By linking up, you are giving us permission to share photos from your post on our blogs and social media.