Friday Favorites: Easy Summer Activities for Kids, Tween Style and Home Decor Finds

Happy Friday friends! It has been a much calmer week than the previous one (thank goodness). I appreciate all of the sweet messages on my challenges last week). I really appreciate this little blogging community! It is hard for me to believe next week marks my one year anniversary blogging. Time really does fly! I have learned so much and I experienced so many positive experiences because of blogging. (more on that next week!). Anyway, today as usual,  I am linking up for Friday Favorites with  Erika, Narci and Andrea.

Easy Summer Activities for Kids

Every year I say this but this has been our best summer. At the beginning of the summer I declared we would have a summer where the kids would get to experience some boredom.  While I am not sure THEY would say that they were bored this summer, we definitely got to experience more days of no plans than we had in summers past.

As the kids have gotten older, it has been easy to roll with summer and to do fun activities. We have fun playing at home or going off on an adventure. We did a lot of fun activities without leaving our house this summer!

Tie Dyed Shirts

How to Host a Tie Dye Party #kids #easy #ideas

Created a Fairy Garden

Create a Miniature Fairy Garden with Your Kids #diy #summeractivities #easy

Cookie Taste Test

Cookie Taste Test with Kids #rainydayactivity #kids #food

We also took some mini staycations around town! We checked out:

Swings-N-Things

Swings N Things Putt Putt

the Cleveland Aquarium

Little Italy & Lakeview Cemetary

Things to do with Kids in Cleveland

There have been some years that the kids and I are ready for school to begin and to get a little break from each other. But, this year, I can honestly say that the kids and I are not ready for school to start:( I know once the kids settle into school it will be like they never left for summer break. I will get a chance to check off some things on my to-do list that has been neglected all summer.

Back to School Shopping

This week, our daughter had middle school orientation (6th grade). It is going to take some time for it to sink in that I have a middle schooler!  My mom, daughter and I have a yearly tradition to go back to school shopping. We got a chance this past week to spend our evening together getting some clothes for my daughter.

Annual girls shopping trip #backtoschool #daughters #moms

Every year my daughter has her own ideas on what kind of clothes she wants and where she wants to shop. This year, she found everything at Old Navy and a few items at Marshalls. Old Navy is a perfect store for tweens–inexpensive and has some of the latest trends.

Annual back to school shopping trip #traditions #tweens #clothing

Right now she is going back and forth on her first day of school outfit but she is leaning towards this romper:

Floral Cinched-Waist Romper for Girls

Yellow Floral Romper

We also got her this jacket! It will be perfect for cooler mornings in the fall!

:product photo

Fall Utility Jacket

She picked out these couple tops too:

Fleece Criss Cross Sweatshirt

Lace Blouse (several colors)

This girl really lucked out–she also got two pairs of shoes and a few pants! She is definitely ready for 6th grade!

Bomba the Brave & Anti Bullying

Speaking of back to school, it is hard not to think of all the social situations that arise when the kids are in school. I’ve always heard this and it couldn’t be more true Bigger Kids=Bigger Problems! My youngest is starting kindergarten and it pulls at my heart to accept that we are releasing him to the world. So many good things await him but it is also a little scary and sad to think of the challenges that he (and all kids) face these days!

Recently, I had the chance to chat with a Cleveland personality and former TV broadcaster,  Denise Dufala about her anti-bullying book, Bomba the Brave. This sweet book tells the tale of a little bunny, Bomba, that gets made fun of  after he wears his new glasses to school. That’s when a bunny named Tess comes to his rescue and teaches others the importance of kindness.

Denis Dufala wrote this book as a tool for parents and educators to open the dialogue about bullying. The book is part of a bigger anti bullying program called Be Kind Stick Together. Head over here for more details on the program including information on how you can bring this program to your local school!!

I can not wait to be a reader in my Kindergartners class and read Bomba the Brave. This book is a perfect teaching tool for the early elementary grades!

This book is available here or here!

Chick-fil-A Breakfast

Yesterday, the kids and I were invited to Chick-fil- A to try out their breakfast. Maybe I’m alone on this but I didn’t even realize Chick-fil-A served breakfast! Breakfast is served until 10:30.

Chick-fil-A is one of the few food places that the whole family can agree on. So I was happy to see that like their other meals, the Chick-fil-A breakfast menu had options for everyone. My kids loved the Chick-n-Minis and Biscuits meal! The biscuits were warm and buttery with a hint of honey. So yummy!

My daughter loved the yogurt parfait with fruit and cookie crumbles!

Of course, we all loved the frozen lemonades.

There are some lighter options including the egg white grill, sunflower mutigrain bagel, fruit partfait and fruit bowl! The egg white grill is so yummy! We also all loved the mini hashbrowns! We did not leave hungry!

Also I wanted to be sure to tell you that Chick-fil-A now has a rewards app that you can download on your phone. You can earn points and rewards for certain food purchases.  My favorite feature of the app? You are able to order your food and have your order brought to you as curbside pick up!!

Chick Fil A Rewards App

We had a great morning and every one of us enjoyed the Chick-fil-A breakfast!

Chick-fil-A breakfast review #kidsmenu #activities #meals

Solo Window Shopping

Finally, I had a few returns at our nearby mall the other day and I got the luxury (of time) to pop into a few other stores. How cute are these towels I spotted at Anthropologie?! I could take one of each style!

Also spotted at Anthro was this cookbook and I was so intrigued! Healthyish (or healthy food s most of the time) is my motto. I didn’t purchase the book but the reviews are Amazon are very positive, so I’m tempted to order.

Speaking of healthy eating, this sign at Altr’d State is too cute! Whenever I see this sign I smile…and I can most certainly relate:)

**************************************************************************

Anyway, that is about all for this week! I hope you have a great weekend. I’ll be over here getting the kids (and me!) ready for next week.

Early Fall Mantel with Apple Pom Garland #target #backtoschool #farmhouse

Back to School Decor is up!

1. August 17, 2018 / 7:09 am

Love the clothes that your daughter picked out!! Thanks for sharing about the Chick Fil-A app! I had no idea and we frequently visit! Have a great weekend : ):)

2. August 17, 2018 / 8:51 am

I really need to download the Chick-Fil-A App! My kids love going there. 🙂

3. August 17, 2018 / 9:13 am

The cookie taste test will have to go on my list! I don’t know if me or my toddler would enjoy it more haha

4. August 17, 2018 / 9:30 am

Your Summer looks like it was fun yet relaxing! I love the slowness of Summer! And I really need to download that Chick-Fil-A app!

5. Sally
    August 17, 2018 / 9:41 am

Congrats on your one year blogging anniversary! Your blog is amazing!☕️🥞❤️

6. August 17, 2018 / 10:57 am

What a wonderful summer- you packed in so much fun- can’t see how they would’ve been bored!!

7. michelle
    August 17, 2018 / 12:15 pm

great post! seems like you guys had a really fun summer! i love that little notting hill reference wall art, I just might have to pick it up! I’ve never had chick fil a breakfast but I pass one on my way to work so i might have to stop and try it!

Mich // simplymich.com

8. mich
    August 17, 2018 / 12:23 pm

cute clothes! good food! great company! sounds like you had a fabulous summer, congrats on your blogging anniversary!

mich// simplymich.com

9. August 17, 2018 / 1:30 pm

Hah! If only all salads could be donuts, but with the same calories as a salad. How fun you got to go shopping with your daughter for school – Old Navy is fantastic. I really need to get back there. I’m loving that romper she got; so cute!

-Lauren

10. August 17, 2018 / 3:19 pm

New reader here. Great blog!! Congrats on your 1 year blog anniversary! I keep meaning to make a fairy garden with my kids. Looks like a lot of fun! Those towels from Anthropology are adorable! Love the clothes your daughter picked out. I think my oldest would love that romper too.

11. August 17, 2018 / 7:48 pm

Old Navy, Marshall’s, and Justice are my little lady’s favorites! We don’t do back to school clothing shopping until late September because the weather stays pretty hot until early October here.
    So much fun for you guys this summer! Here’s to a great start to school for your kids!

August 17, 2018 / 9:04 pm

Oh yes Justice is always a favorite too! have a great weekend Amanda!

12. August 17, 2018 / 8:51 pm

I love that romper — my daughter got the same one! Your summer looks like it’s been a lot of fun! Sad that it’s almost over!

August 17, 2018 / 9:03 pm

How fun she has the same one! I wish it came in my size! Enjoy the rest of your summer!

13. August 17, 2018 / 11:17 pm

It looks like you and your children have enjoyed a summer full of fun activities. Enjoy every minute with them because they grow up so fast. The tie dyed t-shirts, I bet, turned out cute! Enjoy your last few days of summer vacation.

14. August 18, 2018 / 9:43 am

We started back to school this week. I’ve got a first grader and even tho he went to school last year I was just as sad this year! I love your back to school decorations!

August 20, 2018 / 7:49 am

I sad almost as much every year too even though my kids have been going to school for a few years. But I can barely stand that my youngest is going to kindergarten. Those baby years go TOO fast.

15. August 18, 2018 / 7:48 pm

Awe I love the fairy garden! I used to make them with my great aunt when I was little. Brings up great memories!

August 20, 2018 / 7:48 am

What a wonderful memory with your great aunt. I hope the things I do with my kids now creates those kind of memories!

16. August 19, 2018 / 11:32 am

First – this made me realize I don’t eat nearly enough chikk-fil-a 🙂
    Second I love all the simple ideas for end of summer. Summer comes to a close far too soon and I too, am trying to make the most of these last couple days…I love th cookie tasting idea, so simple and fun the smaller kids 🙂

August 20, 2018 / 7:47 am

The cookie taste testing is so fun and easy. Now whenever we are at the store and we see a new flavor of Oreo I buy it to save for a future taste test!

17. August 19, 2018 / 2:56 pm

We have started an annual back to school shopping tradition as well. And it is seriously one of my favorite days of the year. Chik-fil-A is hands down the best fast food restaurant ever. I love how awesome they are and all that they stand for. I need that sign. The one about the salad and the donut. It suits my life perfectly. Happy Weekend!

August 20, 2018 / 7:47 am

Thanks Trista! Back to school shopping is so fun even when you aren’t going back to school…my mom and I have a tradition later in the fall to do just that:)
      Agree-Chick-fil-A is our absolute favorite restaurant!

18. August 20, 2018 / 8:36 am

I love the cookie taste test! We used a snack menu this summer and it was one of the best changes we made! And… Chick-fil-a is my fave! I love earning rewards through the app!

19. August 20, 2018 / 9:07 am

We have 6th grade orientation tomorrow! Your daughter looks so cute with all her bags of clothes.