Fall is the perfect time to go apple picking. What do you do with all of the apples you pick? Make this easy homemade applesauce in the crockpot! Your home will smell amazing and you will enjoy a delicious treat!
Homemade Applesauce Recipe
Recently, we checked another thing off of our fall fun list when we took a trip to the apple farm! It is a fun fall activity –minus all of the bees and the crowds. Can anyone relate?
We always end up picking way more apples then we know what to do with. One of the best way to use up apples it to make applesauce! Applesauce is one of those things that is just ten times better homemade than in a jar! Especially when the applesauce is still warm, it is so good!
Today, I am sharing our easy homemade applesauce in the crock pot recipe.
You just need a few ingredients:
- Brown Sugar
Plus, you need a couple supplies:
- Crock Pot
- Apple peeler
- Paring knife
It is such an easy recipe you will wonder why you do not make it more often (or at least I always think that when I am making applesauce!). This recipe is very kid friendly and you can adjust some of the ingredients to your family’s liking!
- Start by peeling all of your apples. A little tip is to use larger apples as they are easier to peel. Plus, when you use larger apples, you have less of them to peel!
2. Next, evenly slice all of your apples. I usually quarter them and then slice in half. As long as they are fairly evenly sliced, you are good!
3. Add the apples and all of the other ingredients to the Crock Pot. Cook on low for 3-4 hours until the apples are soft. I usually cook 4 hours.
4. Puree the applesauce to your desired consistency. My family likes smooth applesauce with no pieces.
Best Apples for Applesauce
It is important to start with good apples when you make applesauce. It is a lot easier to peel larger apples, so pick out the biggest ones you have available.
We usually use a mix of different apple varieties we have on hand. Softer apples cook down faster, so it will take less time to cook them.
Some of the best apples for applesauce include:
- Golden Decicious
Honestly, we use what apples we have on hand and the sauce always turns out great. It is nice to also use a mix of apples in your applesauce.
Printable Applesauce Recipe
Are you ready to make your own applesauce? Try this recipe out and let me know what you think!
Homemade Crock Pot Applesauce
3 lbs apples
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar (more or less depending on your preference)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice *optional to reduce tartness and prevent sauce from browning.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Make sure the slices are even.
- Add apples and all ingredients to Crock Pot.
- Cook on Low for 3-4 hours (depending on size of Crock Pot).
- Puree sauce to desired consistency.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
DIY Gift Idea
A cute jar of applesauce with a gift tag would also make a “sweet” gift for a neighbor a friend. This recipe makes 5 Mason Jars (this size) of applesauce, so it would a nice treat to share one with others. You can print out these apple gift tags and tie with a pretty ribbon. Double the recipe and you can use all of the gift tags!
I also made a printable 8.5 X 11 Applesauce Recipe Card. You could print out and display on your kitchen counter during the fall. It just might remind you that you need to make applesauce more often!